Thursday, December 27, 2007

Christmas????--What?

I used to hate this time of year. It reminded me of how often the world lives in untruth. I was told by the newscasters that St. Nick was seen on the east side of town and was headed my way. I always wished for something extravagant and this St. Nick never brought it to me. When I came of age and learned the whole world was lying to me, I was a mess and than wondered if Jesus and God and the Holy Spirit were fictitious as well. I than hated the lights , the trees , the music, etc.

It seems to me that this little myth has allowed the JW's and other cults to call us deceitful to our face and to be correct in their assessment.

Yet today I realize the world is not so black and white. It is true Jesus was not born on Dec. 25th but it is also true that I can see some good in the midst of this darkness. I am no longer offended. I just tell the true story as best I can and than proceed to enjoy singing O' holy night, or silent night ,or even drummer boy without guilt or anger because I now process a Spirit of joy everyday. He is not angry at Christmas. He wants us to enjoy days off of work and to enjoy family togetherness, and good food. He wants us to think of giving to the poor at least once a year. He wants the story of Jesus to be talked about.

As Paul said, once It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. 16 The latter do so in love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. 17 The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains.[a] 18 But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice.

This text does not directly apply but it does relay a principle. God can work in the midst of consumerism, and materialism, and yes worldly lies.
I believe the church must not condone these lies. We must be people of truth. We must be light and salt everyday. But my testimony is that God did heal me and I can rejoice always now. I pray no other child is wounded by this well meant deceit but if so; God is still large and in charge. Rejoice life is full of inconsistencies. Eat the meat and discard the bones. But try yourself to only give your love ones meat.

No comments: