Thursday, December 27, 2007

beating the air

Apostle Paul once said he does not fight aimlessly.He is not one who beats at the air or shadow boxes. "Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air." 1 cor. 9:26.

How often we christians seem to be aimless. We seem like we don't know that the goal of the church is to make disciples and not just consumers of religious goods.

I was once talking to a gang member who told me why they often beat those who want to join their "family". He said, the beating must last at least three minutes. If the person is knocked unconscious, the clock stops and than resumes upon their awakening. They have to do this to see if the person will punk out.

He said, when I am in a battle with you at my side, I need to know you "got my back". You won;'t run when things get tough.

It seems ill fated and wrongheaded to join these gangs but at least they try to have some rational for their initiation.


We seem to only say walk the aisle and repeat this prayer. People than live any way they see fit and may come to church sometimes.

I think we need to let them know . It is not membership but discipleship that Christ desires and discipleship is costly. Salvation is free but the results of true repentance is progressive discipleship.

otherwise your christian walk is just beating at the air aimlessly

peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You write very well.